Thursday, September 29, 2011

Beauty Tip: Baking Soda Mask

I am 30, I should not still be struggling with acne. I've had terrible acne my whole life.  Now that I'm older, its not like when I was 15 but its still annoying. I'm currently going through one of those really bad break out weeks. You know the kind where you have tons of painful pimples exploding all over your face?! Not to mention the nasty black head craters that stare at you in the mirror. Yeah. Obnoxious.
Last night I stumbled upon this random tip to help clear up acne prone skin: Baking Soda
 I've been struggling with oily skin, and really painful inflamed pimples for 2 weeks. I am desperate to try anything. I don't wear much in terms of foundation or cover up so my redness is there for all to see. So I tried this baking soda idea out and no kidding, it WORKS!
Baking Soda

Photo Source: All You (click for more great baking soda uses!)

Now, let me be clear, this did not make my pimples disappear.  However it greatly reduced the redness and swelling, as well as the pain.  Also, my black heads were greatly reduced as well.  My nose doesn't look like its covered in them!
My skin felt soft, like baby soft. It felt awesome.  Way better than any other drug store face mask I've tried in the past.  
I applied my nighttime routine, went to bed, and the next morning, still not inflammation.  I'm sold.

Try it for yourself. I'm not a dermatologist so who knows how this work for everyone, but it worked for me, so hopefully it will help ya out on those less than flawless skin days.

Directions:
Mix 2 parts Baking Soda to 1 part water
Make a paste and smooth onto skin, thickly covering any problem areas
Allow to dry for about 10 minutes, then rinse
Feel your skin and be amazed.

*Note: I used 2 teaspoons baking soda, 1 teaspoon water plus a few extra drops because it was a little dry. This was more than enough for my face and neck.

20 comments:

  1. If you steam your face first it really helps to get those nasty blackheads. I have terrible skin just now worse than when I was a teenager.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i never even had a zit till i turned 30! Grrrr, i thought i was gonna skip right over that. i sure hope this helps you out, MaryKay (NO, i don't sell it) is the only thing i will ever use on my face, the moment i try something else...zit!
    a little spot of anti bacterial soap right on the spot always helped me too-since a zit is bacteria :)
    i'm #97!!
    ~cm

    ReplyDelete
  3. A baking soda has a lot of benefits. It helps in improving a person's beauty, and it can also help whiten the teeth. You have to mix it with water and apply it using a toothbrush.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Baking soda has a lot of cosmetic uses, and it can also cure numerous health problems such as stomach aches and gas. But it can also be used as a mouthwash. Just wet the toothbrush, dip in the baking soda, then brush.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Baking soda as a toothpaste is great! But, add a few other ingredients and your toothpaste becomes an anti-bacterial, fresh breath and whitening blitz. Here's the recipe:
    1. Dip toothbrush in baking soda
    2. Add 4 drops of Virgin Coconut Oil
    3. Add 2 drop of peppermint oil.
    This formula fights GUM DISEASE!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are Gluten Intolerant! I had acne until I was 27 before I finally diagnosed myself as being gluten intolerant. It was when I had a very important event coming up 3 years ago and I hadn't been eating any pasta or much bread for almost a year, whrn I decided to buy some pasta...Bam the acne came on full force, painful, huge bumps. I made the connection, and researched etc... It takes 5 weeks for your skin to completley clear, however after 1 week on a gluten free diet, no more New pimples, after 2 weeks, reduced pimples, 3 weeks even better, until you have no more pimples on your face. This is the gospel I am meant to spread. I feel your pain very much. Whenver I have had (accidentally) anything containing gluten I have a major breakout.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gluten isn't the only reason people past the teen years get zits. -_-

    ReplyDelete
  8. Please OFFER some HELPFUL advice then! I am just helping someone out, what are you doing?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everyone for the feedback! Baking soda is so useful! It has been really helpful for clearing up my skin, amongst a bunch of other things! Im glad to see that you've been sharing your experiences too. We can all learn from each other and determine what's right for our individual needs, so I appreciate ALL off the comments! Hope you keep reading and sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sadly this didn't work so well for me. I just finished removing the mask and I'm noticing some red looking pimple spots on my face.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have sensitive skin and had to wash this mask off my face within a minute, but even then I saw amazing results. I followed it by squeezing the vitamin E out of a few supplements and rubbed that all over my face with my Origins moisturizer, and now my skin feels INCREDIBLE. Less blackheads, no redness, smoother, brighter. I've been using vitamin E to reduce my under eye circles, but it plus baking soda is marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have normal to dry skin and was looking for a good, natural exfoliator. This didn't do anything bad for me, but it wasn't quite was I was looking for. My skin ended up smooth, but very dry. The tingle felt nice, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if you added a little olive oil to the mixture if that would help with the dryness? I use olive oil in my homemade body scrubs so that might work?

      Delete
  13. I'm still a teenager but i have terrible acne and dry, sensitive skin with a lot of blackheads. I tried this about half an hour ago and it was really painful at first and burned but i still managed to keep it on for the full ten minutes. After the tedious task of washing it of I then steamed my face for about 15 minutes and then applied after sun aloe vera and vitamin E cream due to the burning. It feels better now but im going to wait to see the results with my acne later.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I used this and it was nice... My skins sensitive too so I was a little tingly.... I also used green tea bag( empty the entire bag into a dish) then add a couple drop of olive oil. Pat mixer on face, let sit for 5 to 10 mins... Rinse off.... Really really refreshing...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I used this and it was nice... My skins sensitive too so I was a little tingly.... I also used green tea bag( empty the entire bag into a dish) then add a couple drop of olive oil. Pat mixer on face, let sit for 5 to 10 mins... Rinse off.... Really really refreshing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh the green tea and olive oil sounds great! I will have to try that! Thanks for the feedback!

      Delete
  16. I am trying this tonight i have light acne but i went to dollar tree they have an amazing exfoliating brush so i am trying exfoluating than mask than witch hazel.as an astrgent wish me luck ill def keep an update

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh witch hazel. I'd love to know how this works out for you!

      Delete
  17. I am trying this tonight i have light acne but i went to dollar tree they have an amazing exfoliating brush so i am trying exfoluating than mask than witch hazel.as an astrgent wish me luck ill def keep an update

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails