I am Soup-er excited to share all kinds of soup recipes with you this week! I've decided to dedicate this whole week to soups! Its autumn, its getting cooler, and there is nothing better than curling up on the couch with a warm fuzzy blanket and a steaming cup of soup! I've been on a soup making kick all week! I tried some new soups, made some "old" soups, hopefully these recipes will inspire you to have your own soup week!
Today's recipe, Beer Cheese Soup!
Beer Cheese Soup
Adapted from A Fit and Spicy Life
1.5 Cups Diced Carrots
1.5 Cups Diced Celery
1.5 Cups Diced Onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Teaspoon Hot Sauce
Salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste
3 Cups Chicken Broth
2 Cups Beer (I made this with Guinness and with a local dark brew. Guinness was the best in my opinion)
1/3 Cup Butter
1/3 Cup Flour
2 Cups whole milk
2 Cups Half and Half
6 Cups Sharp Cheddar Shredded Cheese
2 Teaspoons Worcestershire Sauce
1. In a large sauce pan, over medium heat, stir carrots, celery, onion, and garlic.
2. Add in hot sauce, salt and pepper. I never really measure salt and pepper. I just add a heavy dash and then add more as I go along, if necessary.
3. Pour in chicken broth and beer.
4. Simmer until vegetables are tender. About 10-14 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, heat butter in a large pot on medium high heat.
6. Stir in flour, and with a wire whisk stir until mixture is brown. About 3-4 minutes.
7. Gradually stir in milk and half and half, while stirring, to prevent scorching. Allow to thicken.
8. Turn heat to low, add cheese.
9. Add vegetable mixture to cheese mixture and mix in Worcestershire sauce.
10. Bring to a simmer, cook for about 10 more minutes.
Some people like to top their beer cheese soup with popcorn, but I'm a good old oyster cracker kind of girl!
Another tip, I like to make big batches of soup and freeze them in these Ball Freezer Jars. They are safe in the microwave so you can defrost them in there, or let them thaw and then microwave. Each jar holds 2 8 ounce servings. Our freezer is stocked full of these babies!