Monday, July 9, 2012

Rhubarb, Pineapple, Raspberry Pie

Recently my parents came to visit. While helping me with my gardens, my stepdad, Gary, mentioned my rhubarb was ready to be picked. I actually only have rhubarb because it was here when we moved into the house. Gary mentioned that rhubarb would make a great pie. A few days later, I was standing in front of the refrigerator, staring at it with the door open, like your mother always yells at you not to do, trying to figure out something to eat. Thats when I decided to make a pie.  I picked the rhubarb and got everything together.  But just rhubarb?  Nah! I grabbed a container of raspberries and a can of pineapple chunks too. Let me tell you, this was one delicious pie. I wanted to eat the whole thing by myself, but I saved a few slices for my boyfriend, David. Unfortunately, my parents had already gone back to Wisconsin....sorry Gary. 


Rhubarb, Pineapple, Raspberry Pie
Makes one 9.5 inch pie

Ingredients:
4 cups chopped rhubarb
1 quart raspberries
1/2 can pineapple chunks, drained (the big can, or 1 whole small can)
1 1/3 cup sugar
6 tbsp flour
1 tbsp butter
1 double pie crust (I made mine from scratch using this Martha Stewart recipe)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Roll your first pie crust over the pie plate.
3. Combine rhubarb, raspberries, pineaple, sugar, and flour in a bowl.  Mix well, coating all of the fruit.
4. Pour fruit mixture into pie and spread out evenly.
5. Cut butter into small chunks and place on top of fruit mixture.
6. Cover mixture with second pie crust.  I rolled my dough over the pie and cut the scraps and center pieces with a small cookie cutter.  I used the cut scraps to create a decorative edge.
7. Place pie on bottom rack in the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
8. Reduce oven temperature to 350, and continue baking for 40-45 minutes, until the crust is golden and the filling is bubbling. 
This pie is excellent warm or cold.

(PS, Im also in loooooove with instagram, here's a pic I took during the process!)


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails