Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Peppermint Truffles

I am obsessed with truffles lately. For my recent holiday party I made these peppermint truffles. They were easy to do, and a huge hit at the party! I think I may be addicted myself.
Supplies:
Silicone Shapes Baking Pan (I used a square "brownie" pan from Wilton, but any shape will do. The silicone is important as it will be easy to push your truffles out of the mold)
Small Sturdy, preferably new paint brush

Peppermint Ganache:
(You will prepare the ganache first as it needs time to set.)
9 oz. of white chocolate
1/2 cup heavy cream
2-3 tablespoons peppermint extract

1. Place chocolate in a heat proof bowl. If you bought a bar, make sure its chopped up
2. In a saucepan heat heavy cream until it reaches a soft boil.
3. Remove from heat and pour over chocolate
4. Stir to melt all of the chocolate into the cream
5. Add peppermint extract to your preferred minty taste
6. Refrigerate until set, usually 1-2 hours.

Creating Truffles:
1-2 bags of Candy Melts, your choice of color. I used Wilton Color Blast.

1. Melt candy however you prefer. I prefer to melt an entire bag at once and hold it in my Wilton Candy Melter. However, if you do not have one, you should melt your candy about 1/2 a bag at a time.
2. Fill each well of silicone baking pan about 1/4 of the way up.
3. Take your paint brush, and dipping into the remaining chocolate, paint the sides of each cavity.
4. Place in freezer for 5 minutes to set.
5. Remove from freezer and repeat painting the sides until sides are opaque. I had to paint mine three times.
6. Once ganache is set and cavities are painted, spoon about half a tablespoon of ganache into each cavity.
7. Cover with remaining melted candy. Using the paint brush, make sure to spread to each side and corner to create a seal. It also helps to keep it somewhat smooth as this will be the bottom of your truffle.
8. Return to freezer for 5 minutes until final layer of candy is set.
9. Gently push each truffle out of silicone pan.
10. Enjoy! You can also use things like luster dust or royal icing to create designs or shimmer on top of your truffles.

2 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails