Sunday, February 12, 2012

Custom Valentine's Day Fortune Cookies

Yep, a weekend post! I actually got a few Valentine's Day projects done before the holiday, so I'm sharing ahead of time.  A little last minute inspiration for you!

 They are easy to make yourself! All you need are store bought fortune cookies, chocolate and sprinkles of your color choice, and your fortunes printed or written on strips of paper.

Directions:
Prepare your custom fortunes on strips of paper, and have them close by.  You'll need to work quickly.
Unwrap a fortune cookie.
Dampen a paper towel.  You want it very moist, but not dripping wet.
Wrap your cookie in the paper towel.  
Microwave on high for 20 seconds.
Unwrap from the paper towel, gently peel the cookie open.  Pull out the existing fortune, put in your custom fortune and squeeze the cookie shut again.
You must work quickly, as the cookie cools, it hardens and will break. A word of caution these babies are HOT.  Honestly, I couldn't figure out how to not burn my fingertips.  I worked quickly and dealt with the discomfort.  Ah, the price you pay for crafting!

You can leave the cookies plain, or you can decorate them.  I chose to decorate mine with red Wilton candy melts and heart sprinkles.  
A note about dipping the cookies: Don't actually dip them in the melted chocolate!

If you dip the cookies in the chocolate, the chocolate could flow inside the cookie and ruin your carefully placed fortune.  
I held the cookie over the bowl of melted chocolate and then used a spoon to pour the chocolate on top of the cookie.  Place on wax paper, decorate with sprinkles and allow to harden. Viola! You have a custom, chocolate dipped fortune cookie!

This is a great trick for any occasion! Birthdays, anniversaries, perhaps even a marriage proposal!

Here's wishing you good fortune with or without a cookie!

2 comments:

  1. That is such a cute idea! My daughter LOVEs fortune cookies, I guess I have to make her some for V-Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I think it is awesome that you have enough dedication to injure yourself to make these awesome cookies! I really enjoy seeing crafty people create custom gourmet cookies and other treats. I wish I had that kind of talent…I end up just ordering mine instead, but I am actually tempted to try this one!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails