Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Heavenly Grapefruit Cake

This cake is literally a slice of heaven. Here I was, minding my business, cruising blogs on the weekend and I stumbled upon A Baked Creation who posted this recipe. My mouth instantly began to water. Odds were that I had just bought a grapefruit! I dont normally buy it. I have been on this "try winter fruits" kick since I'm usually a summer berries kind of girl, so I had one in the fridge. For a minute I had the internal debate "eat grapefruit as nature intended" or "eat grapefruit baked into a cake that could make me pass out on the spot in bliss". Clearly, you can see which side won over. That devil on my shoulder is sneaky I tell ya!
I was surprised at how simple this cake was to make. Here is the recipe...you've got to try this.

Cake (Makes two 6 inch cakes)

2 cups of all-purpose flour
1 3/4 teaspoon of baking powder
1 teaspoon of kosher salt
1 2/3 cups of granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup of whole milk
3/4 cup of canola oil
1 tablespoon of grated pink grapefruit zest
1 teaspoon of vanilla paste or pure vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line your pan with parchment paper or use nonstick spray.

Sift the flour and baking powder together, then stir in the salt. Set this aside.

Using a stand mixer with a whisk attachment, beat the sugar and eggs at medium speed for about 3 minutes.

Beat in the milk, oil, grapefruit zest, and vanilla

Reducing the speed to low, add in the flour mixture.

Spread the batter in the pan.

Bake for 30 minutes and rotate the pan in the oven so that the cake will color evenly. Bake for another 30 minutes or until a cake tester comes out with just a few moist crumbs on it.

While the cake is still baking, make the syrup!


Grapefruit Syrup
1 cup of strained fresh pink grapefruit juice
2/3 cup of granulated sugar

Combine the grapefruit juice and sugar in a small saucepan. Bring it to a simmer, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Simmer for 1 minute and set aside.

Transfer the baked cake to a cooling rack. Using a long skewer, poke deep holes every 3/4 inch over the top of the cake. Immediately begin brushing the syrup over the cake. You may have to wait for the syrup to soak through, but continue until you've used all the syrup. Then let the cake cool for about 10 minutes.

Unmold the cake and let it cool to room temperature on a cooling rack.


Grapefruit Icing
3/4 cup of powdered sugar
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon of fresh pink grapefruit juice

For the icing, stir the powdered sugar and grapefruit juice together into a bowl until it is smooth

Using a spoon, drizzle the icing over the top of the cake, allowing it to drip down the sides!


Now just try not to eat this whole cake in one sitting, I dare you.

1 comment:

  1. Wow this sounds amazing! I love grapefruit so this is definitely on my to bake list!! Yummy!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails